PITTSBURGH -- The last time Duquesne University beat George Washington University, Donald Trump was recently inaugurated as president and the New England Patriots pulled off the greatest comeback in NFL history, back in 2017.
Times have changed as, despite the energy being the same for the two teams, the Dukes’ (6-5-4, 3-0-4 A-10) difference in size was noticeable as they continued their undefeated streak at seven conference games dominating the Revolutionaries (3-9-3, 0-6-1) 3-0 on Thursday night at Arthur J. Rooney Field as the mood for GW changed with two yellow cards for arguing with officials.
In the 23rd minute, Maya Metesa scooped up a loose ball and fired a long ball from 25 yards out that beat an outstretched goalkeeper, Ainsley Lumpe into the lower right part of the goal for her fourth goal of the season.
“I used to do that shot all the time before college,” Metesa said regarding the placement of her goals, “I haven’t done it yet, so when I was there, I knew the feel of it, know how to hit it on my foot and I just let it rip.”
![]() |
Maya Metesa celebrating after scoring the game-winning goal |
In the 50th minute, Karley Steinher cleared the Revolutionaries' first corner of the game as Margey Brown won a footrace against a GW defender who already had a prior yellow card before the corner, to the soccer ball and finessed a shot under the keeper to the bottom left corner for her first goal of the season putting them up against GW by 2.
“It’s not something we train a lot,” head coach Al Alvine said regarding the corner clear from Steinher that led to the second goal, “but credit to Margey to recognize the opportunity, getting forward and there was a lot she had to do from the time that she got the ball to the time when she scored.”
The energy was important in the second half from singing “Stronger (What Doesn't Kill You)” by Kelly Clarkson to dancing and doing somersaults coming out of halftime which showed the positive energy coming from the DU.
“I think that’s the key, with that,” Metesa said, “having fun first going in like that which gives us a good mindset so we are not freaked out, we are just loose and I think that’s how we play the best.”
Metesa would wrap up the scoring with a penalty that she would place again bottom right past Lumpe to finish the day with a game-high two goals.
“I was coming down the line and I thought I could take it in,” Metesa said, “and I see someone coming to see if I could take a 1v1 and then she just clipped me so I fell, and I got the call and I had to compose myself to take that penalty."
The good vibes showed in the stats as DU outshot GW 30-5 with the shots on goal being lopsided as well with a ratio of 13-to-1 being the most shots that the Dukes put on a team all season long.
“The message was go out,” Alvine said, “have fun, create chances… this is 3 points that we needed.”
Metesa leads the Dukes this season with points at 11 and tied for the team lead in goals at five.
![]() |
| Maya making a cutback in the first half against a George Washington defender |
“Was kind of in a slump,” Metesa said, “getting down on myself, but having my teammates bringing me up, and just moving myself in positions available to get the best options.”
Duquesne will finish their two-game home stand with a match
on Sunday afternoon against La Salle at home at Arthur J. Rooney Field. George
Washington will look to get their first conference win of the season on Sunday
evening against George Mason with kickoff to begin at 5 p.m.


Comments
Post a Comment